- The big 3: If you have the money and the space, 3 names stand above the rest Precor, Hoist, and Bowflex. All 3 have great home systems with a 7-10 yr warranty that should put your mind at ease. I have all 3 in my studio and I simply don’t know what I would do without
- Selectable Dumbbells: 10-100 lbs worth of weight in 1 pair. If you only get one piece of equipment in your home, this should be one.
Bowflex and Power block are the leaders in this field. Most of my workouts actually only consist of dumbbell movements. Whether
full body or split routine, all body parts can be fully worked with just dumbbells.
- Flat Bench:
Try to find a bench that declines and inclines to give your body different angels at each workout.
- Swiss Ball: See Link
- Bosu: Looks like a cut in half Swiss ball. When performing exercises on unstable surfaces (Bosu/Swiss Ball) the muscles
of the abdominals and lower back are forced too stabilize and help balance the body. Which in turn will strengthen those muscles
that under normal training conditions would not get stimulated? In time a person can demonstrate improvements in posture and
- Medicine Balls: Great means of working the core and an excellent modality for breaking up the mundane exercise program:
- Bodylastics: See Link
- Do the hours of operation fit
into your schedule?
- Is the facility kept clean at all times?
- Do the training modalities of the gym cater to your needs? For
example if you love cardio but find out there are only 4 ellipticals on the premises, does this mean you might have to wait
around for a machine to open up? Not good!
- What kind of crowd works out there? I bring this up for this reason,
if the majority of the members are power lifters and you happen to be a 60 yr old women looking to get fit, this might not
be the best choice for you?
- Is it worth the cost? Some smaller gyms are just as productive as the more trendy ones minus the razzle dazzle.
- If you are a morning person like me, inquire if there is an early bird special
for members not using the gym past a certain time.
" There are aren't many clearly marked,
signpost moments in your life, but occassionally they come along, and you have a choice you can either do something the
same old way or you can make a better decision"- Denis Waitley