great reasons how and why exercise helps us feel better when it seems the world is crumbling right before us.....
1. Makes you feel less anxious
-- Stress can make you feel anxious, and studies show that people feel less jittery and hyperactive following exercise.
2. Relaxes You -- One exercise session generates between 90 and 120 minutes
of relaxation response. This post-exercise euphoria improves your mood and leaves you feeling relaxed.
3. Increases alertness -- Studies have shown that when large muscle groups
repeatedly contract and relax as in yoga, the brain receives a signal to release specific neurotransmitters, which in turn
make you feel relaxed and more alert.
4. Makes you feel better about
yourself -- Think about it... when you look better, you will feel better about yourself. That feeling
of self-worth contributes to stress relief.
5. Reduces depression
-- Some researchers believe exercise can be more effective than medication for treating depression in some people.
6. Helps you sleep more restfully -- Stress can make it difficult to get a
good night's sleep, but studies show that people who exercise regularly sleep better than those who don't.
7. Increase energy -- Stress can leave you tired and weary, but even a 10-minute
walk can go a long way to upping your energy level. And the old adage is true - the more energy you use, the more you seem
8. Rids the body of stress-causing adrenaline and other
hormones -- Vigorous activities such as indoor cycling and sports such as basketball are particularly effective.
9. Encourages a healthier diet -- People who exercise regularly tend to eat
more nutritious food. And it's no secret that good nutrition helps your body manage stress better.
10. Helps you take care of yourself -- Weather you exercise alone or with
a friend, it's important to take time for yourself during stressful periods.`-Published by David Stempler
Copyright © 2001 Wantagh Racquet Sports, Inc.. All rights reserved.
An Independently owned and Operated Licensee of World Gym International, inc